- ½ cup semolina/suji
- ¼ cup gram flour or besan
- ¼ cup rice flour
- ½ cup yoghurt
- 1 small cucumber, grated
- 1 small carrot grated
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger and garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 sachet eno
- Oil for cooking
- Cumin seeds
- Mustard seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Curry leaves
Steps in Making Handvo
- In a large bowl, add semolina, gram flour, rice flour, yogurt, and water and mix well.
- Now add all the vegetables: cucumber, carrots, onions, tomatoes, green chillies, coriander, ginger, and garlic paste, and mix well.
- The batter should have a medium consistency. not very thick or thin.
- Let it rest for 5–10 minutes.
- Now add all the spices: salt, turmeric powder, and red chilli powder.
- The instant handvo batter is ready.
- In a small bowl, take some batter for 1 handvo and add 1/4 teaspoon of eno and gently mix.
- To prepare the handvo, in a nonstick pan or heavy bottom pan, add oil, and once it heats, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, asafetida, and curry leaves. Once the seeds sputter, add the batter and evenly spread it.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on the top. Now cover it with a lid and cook on medium-low heat for 6-7 minutes.
- Once done, add some fresh coriander leaves on top and flip the handvo.
- Cook the other side for another 3–4 minutes.
- Serve hot with ketchup or chutney. This recipe will yield two medium-sized handvos.
- If you are a vegan, you can replace yoghurt with water.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice; just make sure they are finely chopped or grated.