Enjoy this yummy Tomato Rice recipe that is so easy to make that you can fix it up anytime you need to make a quick lunch.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon roasted chana dal
- 2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 1 small stick cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 dry red chillies
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 3-4 tablespoons oil
- 2 large bowl boiled rice
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric/haldi powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
- coriander for garnishing
- salt to taste
Steps In Making Tomato Rice
- In a large kadai add oil and once it turns hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, roasted chana dal, cinnamon stick and hing and roast for a minute or till it gets a golden colour. Further add ginger and roast for a minute.
- Now add dry red chillies, sliced onions and curry leaves and cook them for 4-5 minutes or until the onions turns soft and translucent.
- Further add tomatoes, green chillies and salt. Now cover it with a lid and cook till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala. Mix well, cover it with a lid and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Once done, add the boiled rice and mix till everything is well combined.
- Lastly garnish with fresh coriander leaves and a teaspoon of ghee.
- Serve hot with raita or curd.
- Do add the roasted chana dal and urad dal in this tomato rice recipe, as it will give it a great taste.
- You can vary the quantity of the spices as per your taste.