I love chai and I always like to add chai masala to my chai, as it adds a lot of taste and flavor. Here I have shared a simple chai masala recipe that you can easily make at home with very simple ingredients. This chai masala is flavourful and aromatic. I am sure if you are a chai lover you will love this recipe.
For Chai Masala Powder
- ½ cup green cardamom/choti elachai
- 4-5 black cardamom/moti elachai
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds/sauf
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns/kali mirch
- 1 tablespoon cloves/laung
- 2 cinnamon sticks/dalchini (3 inches each)
- 1 small piece dry ginger/saunth
- 1 nutmeg/jaiphal
- 1-star anise/chakra phol
For Masala Chai/Tea
- ¾ cup (150ml) milk
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 2 teaspoons tea powder
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- ½ chai masala we prepared
Steps In Making
Chai Masala Powder
- In a pan, add green cardamom, black cardamom, cloves, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and dry roast them for 2-3 mins. Remove them once done.
- In the same pan, add dry ginger, star anise, and nutmeg and dry roast them for 2-3 mins.
- Let all the spices cool down.
- Add them to a mixer grinder and grind to a coarse powder. Now let it cool down.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
- Crush all the spices together and keep them aside.
- In a pan over a medium flame add water and bring them to a boil.
- Now add tea powder and sugar and boil for a couple of minutes.
- Add milk and boil it for another 2 minutes or until it gets a nice golden brown color.
- Now add the chai masala powder and let it simmer for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and cover the teapot with the lid and let it rest for a couple of minutes.
- Finally, sieve the tea and serve hot!
- You can adjust the quantity of the spices as per your flavor too.
- Always let the chai masala cool down completely before storing it.