- 200g mawa/khoya
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom/elachai powder (optional)
Steps In Making Homemade Mawa Modak
- In a nonstick or heavy bottom, pan adds mawa.
- With a spatula or spoon break all the lumps.
- Now switch on the flame and while stirring it continuously cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame till the mawa softens.
- Remove it in a bowl and let it cool down for a few minutes. ( Don’t let it cool down completely, else mawa will turn hard)
- Lastly add sieved powdered sugar and cardamom powder and mix till everything is well combined. The mawa mixture is ready.
- Now take a mawa mould and put some mawa mixture on both the sides of the mould and press it firmly, before closing it. Remove the excess mawa from the sides and gently open the mould. Now while pressing the bottom of the modak, remove it from the mould.
- Similarly, make all the mawa modaks.
- Store them in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- Always cook on the medium-low flame while stirring it continuously, else the mawa might burn.
- Never add sugar while the mawa is still hot, else the mixture will become very soft and runny.
- If the modak mixture sticks to your hand or mould then apply some ghee on it.
- If the mixture turns very soft and you are unable to shape the modaks then put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours and it will firm up.
- Always sieve powdered sugar to avoid any lumps.