Ingredients to make Shrikhand
- 5 cups yogurt plain whole milk, approximately 1 lb
- 12.5 tbsp powdered sugar adjust to taste
- 1.25 tsp Cardamom powder
- pinch generous pinch of saffron (kesar)
- 2.5 tbsp milk
- 25 pistachios sliced or chopped for garnishing
Instructions to make Shrikhand
- To make hung curd (chakka)
- Add whole milk plain yogurt to a clean cloth or muslin cloth and close it by tying the ends together. Squeeze it to drain off the whey (water) as much as possible.
- Place the cloth with yogurt in a sieve with bowl below to catch excess whey.
- Add some weight (using my mortar pestle) on top to drain off the excess whey.
- Let it stay under weight for 4-5 hours or even overnight in the refrigerator.
- Open the cloth and the thickened yogurt (hung curd/chakka) is ready.
- To make saffron (kesar) infused milk
- Warm the milk for few seconds in the microwave and add kesar to it. Mix and allow it to stand for 10 -15 mins. Mix well and there you have your yellow color saffron infused milk.
To make Kesar Pista Shrikhand
- Transfer the hung curd (chakka) to a bowl and add the cardamom powder, powdered sugar, and saffron milk to it. Mix until well combined.
- Transfer to the serving bowl and garnish with pistachios and sprinkle some more saffron on top (optional).
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Soaked kesar (saffron) will give a nice yellow color the Shrikhand. If you don’t have kesar feel free to skip it.
- Use greek Yogurt to fasten the process as you can skip the yogurt straining process.