- 1 cup semolina/ rawa/suji
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 medium tomato (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh coriander (finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons oil/ghee
Steps In Making Instant Rava Uttapam
- In a large bowl add semolina, salt, yogurt and water, and mix till everything is well combined. The batter will have a medium consistency. Not very thick nor very thin.
- Now let it rest for around 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl add chopped onions, tomatoes, fresh coriander, and salt, and mix until well combined. The toppings for uttapam are ready.
- After the batter has rested, add very little water if it has thickened too much.
- Now add baking soda and a tablespoon and water and mix again. The instant rava uttapam batter is ready.
- Place a non-stick pan on medium flame and add some oil in it. Once the oil becomes hot, add a large spoonful or two of the uttapam batter and spread it evenly. Make sure you do not thin it too much, as uttapams are generally thick.
- Cover it with a lid and cook for 2 3 minutes.
- Now top it with the vegetables and gently press them a little with your fingers, so they don’t come out when you flip them.
- Cover it with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes on medium-low flame or until the bottom is perfectly cooked and light golden in color.
- You will notice the sides will begin to puff a little, which is a sign that the uttapam has cooked from the bottom.
- Now with the help of a spatula, gently flip it on the other side and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Once done, transfer the uttapams on a plate. Now similarly make the rest of the uttapams and serve them hot with chutney or sambhar.
- You can add any veggies of your choice as toppings, like grated carrots, capsicum, bell peppers, etc.
- If you don't have baking soda then you can replace it with eno.